tasseled

Tasseled Booklikes

A little corner to complement my book blog at tasseled.wordpress.com

The Axe
The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian
Robert E. Howard, Mark Schultz, Patrice Louinet
Katharine of Aragon: The Wives of Henry VIII
Jean Plaidy
Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell, #1)
Hilary Mantel
The Arabian Nights: Tales of 1001 Nights, Volume 1
Malcolm Lyons, Ursula Lyons, Robert Irwin, Anonymous
The Long Ships (New York Review Books Classics)
Frans G. Bengtsson
The Song of the Dodo: Island Biogeography in an Age of Extinction
David Quammen
Oxygen: The Molecule that Made the World (Popular Science)
Nick Lane
A Breath of Life (New Directions Paperbook) - Clarice Lispector - The book is obviously written by a dying person as reflection of life, which makes it hard for a reader like me, who lacks worldly experience to relate to it.
- The book has no plot, it is a book about nothing. instead, the narrative is pure stream of consciousness about feelings and associations.
- There is some interesting gender confusion when it comes to narrator. The "author" is implied to be a man, but Lispector's own voice sometimes breaks through and occasional feminine pronouns are used.
- I really liked "The Jewel" part, where Angela draws associations between precious stones and emotions.
- The author states in the beginning, quite straight-forward, that the book is not for everyone to enjoy. In fact it was specifically written very confusing and full of personal references to weed out curious onlookers. Only selected few are supposed to really "get it".
- I'm gonna be honest about it - I didn't get it.
- I wonder why the New Directions editors elected to publish this book second in the series, since logically it should come forth and last.